Monday, March 1, 2010

Loose Joints


Here's some new-ish shit I've been enjoying recently.

Mr. 706 feat. Lil Bruh- Da Hell Wid Ch'yall

Heard this track earlier this week and finally got the mp3 last night (big ups to the homie J Dirrt at Baller's Eve). Track's pretty sick, it's got a mid 00's ATL rap vibe with a real nice hook on it. I really can't stop listening to this.

Big K.R.I.T. & L.E.$- Grippin' Grain

Here's another one that just dropped the other day, another new one from rap's last King, Big K.R.I.T., feat. Houston up and comer L.E.$. L.E.$ is pretty inoffensive on it, K.R.I.T. comes hard as usual, and the beat was produced by pre-Block Beataz Huntsville producer Arkitek under the alias Kash Kartel, and it go hard.

Curren$y feat. Stalley- Address

I haven't really gotten into Curren$y's superblunted hipster rap style since his Cash Money days. Some dudes tried to turn me on to How Fly, his mixtape from last year with Wiz Khalifa, but outside of a couple songs it just didn't do it for me. However, he really finds a nice groove on this luxurious beat. It's a really nice laid back, summery track. Nothing on this track is different from what Curren$y's been doing since he broke with CM, but it's the best example of his style so far I think. It's got a pretty cool video too. Stalley remains notable only for his beard.

Z-Ro & Lil C- Barre Kelly

My dude MAYNHOLUP! hooked me up with this joint last night, and it's amazing. While 7 of the 9 minutes features Lil C, who rhymes solidly over the "Rapper's Delight" beat, the first two minutes belong solely to Z-Ro, who murders this. Between this and the epic "Mo City Don" freestyle, I think we need a mixtape of Z-Ro freestyling over 80s NY rap beats.

Wochee feat. Lil Boosie- Rear View

This track's been out for a while I think but was just brought to my attention by Noz a few weeks ago. I can't quit jammin this one either. Wochee's from Carenco, LA, population 6,120. The beat's a bit reminiscent of Plies' "Plenty Money", but Wochee throws a nice hook on it, and Boosie comes through with some pretty ridiculous lines like "Breakin records like that Jamaican when I'm racin' for money". Recommended for sure.

Freddie Gibbs- Slammin'

Str8 Killa No Filla coming soon.

All Star & DJ Burn One- Renaissance Gangster

I haven't listened to this yet but I expect great things. Apparently it's just Starlito and Burn One on this street album. We need to hear more of that. 11 songs, that's it. Quality > Quantity, or as I like to call it, the Illmatic model. Go buy it off iTunes for $7.99. It's the least you could do to support two of the best doing it in the rap game right now.

Davey Boy Smith Presents Era of the Six

Davey Boy Smith from over at Southern Hospitality put together an amazing mix of early Three 6/Memphis rap shit. Definitely worth checking out, as is Southern Hospitality's recent split mixtape with Governed by Loyalty, Southern Loyalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment