Monday, February 22, 2010

The NonRap Return

So I'm extending my break a little longer, as I'm about to actually move to Boston next week, and thus am packing/moving most of this week. But I'll give a quick post about three things I'm listening to in the non-rap world. 2 albums, 1 mix.

Ben Frost- By The Throat



This album, from experimental/avant-garde composer Ben Frost, is one of the most thrilling, terrifying, and expertly produced albums I've heard in a long while. Dude needs to be crafting horror movie soundtracks right now. Opener "Killshot" is a monster, with it's deep bass thuds and screaming sheets of black metal guitar feedback. "O God Protect Me" sounds like something from a really scary 80s thriller set in a hospital. The way he plays with juxtaposed noises and shifts the dynamics is incredible. If this floats your boat, you should also check out his previous album, Theory of Machines.

Ben Frost- "Killshot"



The xx- The xx

This was my favorite non-rap album released last year, and I've been bumping it a lot again recently, in large part to this AT&T commercial which features Apolo Anton Ohno speed skating to "Intro". In some ways, it's pretty easy to believe that the band behind this is four 20-year olds from London: they sing about sex and love on virtually every song in a way that's pretty understandable to someone like me in their early 20s. On another level though, there's a stunning level of maturity at work in these songs. It's fascinating the way they play with space and atmospherics; nearly every song uses the same minimal sounds, but they are endless recombined and made unique via some very deft songwriting. This is perfect late-night traveling music.

The xx- Stars



Dirty South Joe and Flufftronix- Luvstep Mix


I have been looking forward to this mix forever, and DSJ and Flufftronix have done a pretty good job hyping it up and marketing it. I can't remember the last free mix released that had its own website. However, for all the hype surrounding it, it's an INCREDIBLE mix of dubstep. The whole concept behind it was more romantic dubstep tracks mixed together, and it does a great job of mood setting. It's only February and it's definitely a strong competitor for mix of the year, in my mind. I definitely don't think they'll be a better dubstep release this year, at the least.

Luvstep Teaser Promo:

Luvstep Teaser from flufftronix on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment